Wednesday 20 April 2011

Books books books (and glasses)

Instead of leaving early as originally intended this morning, I stayed behind that wee bit longer than I should have so that I could finish my book. I always read over breakfast as Wavey leaves super early for work, so I munch on my cereal or toast and read my book which puts me in a happy place before going to the crap heap that is work. I had to finish it today and yet I didn't want to at the same time. It was one of those books that was just an absolute delight to read from beginning to end. And so I thought I'd share it with you all as well, so that you can either rush out and buy your own copy to enjoy, or you can stand in line and borrow my copy once my sister returns it.

The book was called "A Sweet Obscurity" by Patrick Gale. This is the second book I've read by him now and I fully intend to find many more. I won't tell you what it's about cos that will spoil it for anyone who chooses to read it. But I will tell you what it was like for me as I was reading it. Think about your perfect Sunday afternoon. What would it be? Mine is curling up either on the sofa, in a sunny spot in the garden, by a river, on the beach, no matter where I might be, and reading - quiet, peace, getting lost in a different world...total perfection. For me, this book was that perfect Sunday afternoon. It was delightful and enchanting and totally drew me in; I think I even fell in love a tiny bit with Pearce, one of the characters. And as I said, as fast as I wanted to get to the end to find out what was going to happen, I also didn't want it to end because now I can't spend any more time with the characters and enjoy their world. Boohoo.

That's not really much of a review is it? It's more a review of how I felt as I was reading the book. Well there you go. This is probably why I shouldn't join a book group, I hate critique-ing stuff, I either enjoy it or I don't. I don't want to say why or how or what, I just want it to be.

And so because I move swiftly between books I've gone from the lovely enchanting Sunday afternoon, to the 5th in the series of the Skulduggery Pleasant books about the skeleton detective - they're really for kids but we're hooked!

In other news I picked up my new glasses today. They're so cool! But it's always really weird getting new ones, it takes my brain a little while to catch up with what my eyes are doing. And! I got some sunnies this time too, they're even more cool (if that's even possible) and make me feel like a film star! I can't wait to be wearing them on holiday, woooo!

Oh and holidays, well it's 8 weeks today until we head off to France, YIPPEEE! But by this time tomorrow we will be enjoying the first in a run of loooong Bank Holiday weekends and short work weeks - celebrate good times come on...

No comments: