Saturday 3 November 2007

Everyone needs a bus driver called Dusty

Heading into town last night to the first in a weekend of gigs, I jumped on the number 36 bus; always the best one for the tales. And last night was no exception. The bus driver was chatting to everyone who got on the bus, when I showed him my pass he gave me this cheeky grin and mouthed "thank you" through his panel, so I gave him my best smile back and took my seat. We're merrily driving along, listening to the chit-chat of Dusty and his fellow passengers, when all of a sudden his ticket machine just started spurting tickets out in a long, seemingly never ending streamer. As this streamer got bigger the whole bus were in hysterics cos Dusty was just shouting and laughing. One of his mates who was on the bus was yelling at him to "just hit it Dusty, just hit it" it was soooo funny. I couldn't stop laughing. He eventually made it stop as it sputtered sadly to a stop and the last little ticket popped out. By this time we'd reached one of the towns I go through on my route so Dusty was letting people off. He was just about to pull away from a stop, he'd closed the doors and everything when he obviously spotted someone he knew, he braked to a stop, opened the doors, stood up, and yelled out "Jack the lad, my man!" to a passer by and his wife, who then got on the bus to have a loud chat about what they'd all been up to, Dusty all the while laughing and shouting. I tell you, it was so nice. A lot of the time bus drivers are right grumpy gits, especially the ones driving the later shifts, but Dusty, well, I loved him, I did. He was just ace! Sadly he left us at the next stop, got off the bus, locked us in there, and then walked backwards towards his depot office waving and blowing kisses at us...you couldn't make it up, you really couldn't! Sadly his replacement wasn't anywhere near as much fun, but thanks Dusty, for starting off the night so well.

And it could only get better after such a good start. Oh wow, what a gig! I can honestly say that it might well be the best one this year; definitely the best one I've seen since Maximo Park anyway. The Rumblestrips people. If you ever get a chance to go and see them live, I beg of you, do it! They STORMED the joint, their energy and enthusiasm was amazing. And it was fab cos it was a little crowd yet we showed them the appreciation, I'm still waiting for my voice to return. If you're not a gig person, then get their cd instead: Girls and Weather.

So We are Scientists have a lot to live up to tonight, especially as their drummer quit the band before the start of their tour. Erm, hello, how can you have a gig without a drummer? We shall see!

See you tomorrow x

2 comments:

Librarian Girl said...

Dusty sounds awesome! Hopefully you'll get to ride his bus again soon!

Anonymous said...

How come I only get freaks with body odour and bad tattoos on my bus trips?