Monday 19 November 2007

The 1 foot beehive

Oh wow. Oh my god. I can't believe it but we actually saw Amy Winehouse. Yep, she was there. She was coherent. She was so many words but I think AMAZING is the one that sums up the experience best.

Out of all the gigs I've ever been to, they're usually wee little bands starting out, the venue is small, the gigs are intimate, you're impressed with the effort and if you like 'em then great. But Amy? This was a whole new world for me. I've never been to a gig where I've had such admiration for the artist before. I know everyone thinks she's stark raving bonkers and unreliable and a drug addict and a drunk...she is all those things, but she's also an icon. And a totally amazing artist to go with it.

She rocked out onto the stage a bit late, and the first song was pretty mixed up and I thought oh-oh. But it must have just been stepping out nerves cos she just got better and better and better. I can't begin to describe what it felt like to actually be there. I kept turning round to Cat and shouting "oh my god we're at Amy Winehouse!" and she was right there, just in front of us, in all her 1 foot beehive and malfunctioning dress glory.

I can say all round that it was quite possibly one of my bestest gig experiences ever. And you know that I don't give out such praise to just anyone. I think I'm in awe. Tell 'em Cat, back me up, how good was she! xx

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent stuff; after seeing her on telly, mumbling her way through a song on some awards show or other, I was worried it was going to be awful. I'm so glad it went well and that you enjoyed yourselves.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME would be my word, awesome. Such a tiny woman, despite that incredible hair, but with such a knockout voice and incredible presence. No sobbing, no booing, and although she did seem a little unsteady a couple of times she was still just amazing. Love her!

Anonymous said...

just read a review of the gig ... here's some extracts ...
"She is just phenomenal to watch, pouring her heart and soul into every track ... each track laying bare the raw emotion she puts into it ... Winehouse is supported by a band of fantastically talented musicians,and, coupled with her powerful voice and magnetic stage presence, they create an amazing live act. She rocked. "

seems like she was alive, coherent and put on some show. Jelly !!