Thursday 24 April 2014

Life by numbers

I seem to spend a lot of days counting at the moment. I wake up and I count down the number of days until my first major deadline (20), then I count again for the BIG deadline, the one where there is no going back (33). I'm also applying for jobs at the same time so I count down the days until their deadline, although a lot of these agency jobs don't seem to have any deadline at all which surely can't be right. Then I'm putting all my different sections into one big document and counting the number of words to make sure I'm within the limit and wondering exactly how much editing I'm going to have to do to achieve that. For a gal who is none too fond of numbers that is a whole heap of counting. 

Today has been a non-motivated kind of day. Yesterday was hugely motivating and I got absolutely loads done and felt good. Today I feel a bit useless and remain uninspired - lots of staring at blank screens waiting for words to be formed. This kind of sums up the whole portion of this final study thing. Self-study: two very tricky words. It's so easy to be lazy, distracted, procrastinate, I'll just make one more cup of tea before I sit down to start typing, read one more blog, watch one more episode of Gossip Girl...what is really hard is saying right kid, time to get on with this and stop messing the eff around. 

Truth is, I think I'm done. I've had enough of this academic nonsense, I want a job again. A real job where I feel useful and needed, where my day is filled with actual achievements and I'm not a few feet away from the kettle and the giant tin of chocolate egg tastiness. Oh and money, oh how I miss money. I know, I know, it's almost over, I only have 33 days left until the whole thing has to be handed in, but today those 33 days feel like years. I want them to hurry up but I also don't want them to hurry up in case it all ends in one massive big panic...

Sheesh, nothing like a pity-party to entertain the masses.

In other news, my #1800 Minutes challenge is progressing. I've done a total of 400 minutes (more counting). I think it's safe to say I'm not going to complete the challenge but this I don't feel too bad about at all. It has got me moving and trying to regiment my exercise. It's safe to say I was never going to turn into a gym bunny. I'll own up to my final total at the end of the challenge (last day in May) and will keep plodding on. I am a ploddy donkey. I don't know where I came up with this term but it seems to fit my life at the moment. Here's a picture of a well-known donkey who definitely looks ploddy:


Normal service to be resumed shortly. Plod, plod...

No comments: