Wednesday 5 June 2013

On Trial

I blogged a while ago about a couple of interviews that I'd had but I never really followed through with that which is very remiss of me. I thought now would be a good time to remedy that, mainly because I have zero motivation to write about cumulative distribution curves and Monte Carlo simulation and because blogging is just so much easier. 

Two interviews, two jobs. Well actually one job and one trial. Yesterday was the trial. I was really looking forward to it as working in a tea shop is so very far removed from what I had been doing before and it's such a lovely and charming place to go, enjoy a cup of tea, drool over the cakes, and other niceties like that. I was there for 4 hours in total and I worked blimmin' hard! Lots of brewing tea, emptying tables, cleaning tables, washing up, chitting the chat with customers and the owner, the time flew by. I was thrilled to be given actual money at the end of the shift, my first pay day in months, I felt beyond rich! I found out last night that I didn't get the job and I think I surprised myself with how philosophical I am about it all. It would have been nice, but it's not the end of the world. I'm a firm believer in what will be, will be and obviously this wasn't meant to be. Sometimes things fall into place but more often than not they don't. C'est la vie.

I'm pretty sure that I feel this way as I know that I have another job to go to. This job is also exciting but in a very different way as it is a marketing job! This is the area I am interested in pursuing at the end of this student adventure so I was thrilled when I got the call to say I had been successful after my 90 minute interview. I start that job next week and I literally have no idea what to expect. My experience of marketing is very limited and most of it has been done from this very chair and laptop, but this is a whole new ball game. A real company! Paid! 

I went to the interview during the dog-sitting stress and I think I was so relieved to be away from that dog that I just chatted and chatted and I was full of ideas...I'm hoping this translates into manageable real ideas once I'm there. I'm excited, nervous, keen to please, but most of all so chuffed that I'm being given a chance to do what I want to do, be myself, and see what happens. I'll let you know how it is when I get there... 

No comments: