Wednesday 29 October 2014

If it makes you happy...

First of all let's just talk about sitting down at gigs. What? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the strange concept that you would go and watch a band and stay seated. Again - what? No. If this is the future then I'm-a going to have to be having a serious conversation with someone and putting this situation right. Watching a band = standing up, dancing, foot stomping, singing at the top of your voice, and woo-ing until you are hoarse. 

Did you guess that I went to a gig last night? Yep, D and I got our drive on and headed on up to the Toon to only bloody see SHERYL CROW in the flesh. We were in row O. I swear if my arms had been just a bit longer I would have been able to touch her sparkley waistcoat. Seriously my view was that good, even if it was seated...

There was much anticipation for the event. I spent most of yesterday singing that everyday is a winding roooooad. Loudly. Even in the office. Meh, whatever, they already think I'm weird because I didn't know a Take That song when it rang out of a phone somewhere. My brain refused to accept that there were any other Sheryl Crow songs and so I wondered how much of the music I was going to recognise. Silly me. As soon as she started belting out the hits I was right there, back in the 90s, singing at the top of my voice. Sitting down. 

She looked amazing! Truly. D reckons she is about 50. To that I say wow, I can only hope to look like that when I'm 50. Tight skinny jeans, black blingy cowboy boots, black waistcoat with diamondy stuff dangling off it...I'm not selling it very well there, trust me she looked awesome. Here's a picture from D to prove it:

 
Notice that she wasn't sitting down...

All together she played for about an hour and 45 minutes, with lots of good banter in between, a whole heap of praise for her band (I always love that, everyone is important up there), a constant rotation of guitars, some jaw dropping harmonica playing, and some serious strutting. The girl can rock. All the hits. All the words. Some new stuff too but I think she struck the perfect balance. As did the crowd as she received a standing ovation from the entire theatre as she ended with everyday is a winding roooaaad (YES!). By the time we had wooo-ed ourselves hoarse they finally came back to play 3 more songs. The whole thing was two hours of sheer delight. My smile was a mile-wide when I came out of there and we were still trying to sing if it makes you happpppppy - those high pitched notes are a killer...But we were very happy. Thanks Sheryl. A most awesome evening. 

I really want a harmonica now. And maybe some cowboy boots. Poor Wavey...
 

No comments: