Thursday 7 August 2014

So far, so improving

I want to talk to you today about bubbles. Until a few weeks ago I had never really realised that I was living in one, as even though I left libraryland what feels like hundreds of years ago now, I actually stayed in the same bubble when I went to the same place, but as a student instead of an employee. Blimey that was a long sentence. Getting back to the bubble. It was safe inside of there. I pretty much knew where everything was at, and even though each day was often endlessly frustrating and almost always dull, I just went about my business all cushioned and protected. 

(It's at this point that a giant pin comes along and bursts the bubble)

I was reluctant at first to talk about the new job on the blog as inevitably there were teething troubles. Big style. Like almost to the point where I considered walking away from it, in all seriousness, in the second week. It's been a twisty, turny, up-py, down-y kind of 7 weeks but I hope that I'm finally coming out of the other side and reaching a more level kind of plateau.

Not too much detail is needed. Suffice it to say that I thought I was going in to do one thing, they thought it was something else entirely, I started stressing that I wasn't the right person for the job after all, had the massively awkward conversation with my boss, sweated for about a million weeks (ok like 3) until they finally made a decision, and we all reached the aforementioned plateau that is not 100% ideal but is a lot better than what we all thought was going on. Confused? Join me for the ride. 

So about that bubble. That cushioned, protected, bubble. Wow. Even though I tell people who still live in the bubble about what it's like out here in the big bad wide world, I don't think they really believe me, cos how can they? They live in the bubble and don't understand the outside harshness. In some ways I don't want them to, they need the bubble. I knew that I needed to be outside of it, but was completely and utterly unprepared for what that might actually mean. 

It's week 7 now outside of the bubble. Some good things happened this week and I hope it will be the turning point of better things to come. I'm slowly adjusting to life outside of the bubble. And I even made the small move away from the bizness black towards more Dizz-like clothing. Small steps. Almost cushioned you might say... 

No comments: