Sunday 29 July 2012

Watching and reading

Do 2 films by the same director viewed in the same week count as a fest? If so I've had a Wes Anderson fest. First up I finally got to see Moonrise Kingdom and oh was it worth the wait. Laugh out loud funny, quirky, touching, weird and wonderful. Next up was The Fantastic Mr Fox. All of the above again with a hint of bonkers on the side. Only George Clooney could make a fox sound foxy. I totally loved Jarvis Cocker as Petey on the banjo - awesome! 

Next up was The Angel's Share, a film about whiskey directed by Ken Loach. Not exactly the most scintillating of films I hear you say. Well actually it too was hilarious and laugh out loud funny; it was also very touching and a smidge on the inspiring side as well. Topped off by a glass of wine it was a fab Friday film, watched by at least 8 other people who were not of the however many billion watching the Olympics opening ceremony. 

Speaking of the Olympics, it's hard to avoid it when BBC1 have basically dedicated their entire schedule to it. So far I've seen a lot of swimming, some judo which looks impressive but I have no idea how points are scored and they all have wardrobe malfunction - that outfit needs designing way better. All that tugging and pulling, they need some poppers or some velcro or something - a tied belt is not going to cut it with that much pressure! The diving was also pretty wow, one of them had thighs of steel! And the rowing at lunchtime was very exciting and has even inspired me a wee bit to get off my ass and get onto a rowing machine at the gym. It's my most favourite of gym machines which I think makes me weird as most people I know absolutely hate it the most of the mostest. 

In the world of books I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I saw a trailer for the film version of Anna Karenina and thought I'm so going to read that before I go and see it at the cinema. I knew it was by some Russian blokey but I didn't realise it was going to be 854 pages of teeny tiny writing. I'm up to page 27. So far so good. It's not hard to read in the way that some classics can be, but it's started off with a family falling apart - I don't think it's going to be a barrel of laughs...but will feel majorly chuffed if I actually finish it and fully understand what it's all about. Watch this space...

No comments: