Wednesday 20 March 2013

By 'Eck it's cold without windows...

Wavey and I are in the middle of some serious house stuff at the moment. The study/library/snug is ever ongoing, we started to tile the bathroom -also ongoing, and today we are getting the front windows replaced. This last job is probably the most important as the window in one of the bedrooms actually moved inside its frame and that's the bedroom that the grotbags sleep in when they stay, safe to say we really didn't want to have an incident where one of them pushed it a little bit too much...so yep windows. But you know what? When someone takes a window from the front of your house it is totally freezing. Not just a little bit cold. Freezing. I decided there was only one thing for it - to get into bed. In all my clothes. Now I really am a student.

I remember one incident from student-dom the first time around when we came  home from a Christmas break to find that all our gas and electricity had gone. It was a Sunday evening and nowhere was open to go and top up our cards, we were freezing and hungry because we couldn't cook anything, the only option was to go to bed. I remember wearing my red tartan fleecy pyjamas that I had originally laughed at when my Ma bought them. I also wore a jumper, a cardigan, a hat, a scarf, and a pair of gloves. I don't think I've ever felt so cold, until maybe today. 

In a big way it makes me very glad for the things I have like central heating and a warm house. And in another way it's very humbling to think that some people are this cold all the time and they are people who have homes. Homeless people, I can't even imagine it, especially not on days like today where it's half snowing, half sleeting, and never getting above zero degrees :( 

So from my bed I type this trying to warm myself and thinking about those who are never warm. Maybe I really should do that soup kitchen from the front garden that I've been thinking about...

No comments: