...one can get a reasonable idea of skewness and kurtosis by looking at a histogram or frequency polygon and by examining the relative magnitudes of the mean and median...
Erm, pardon? Say again? Seriously, how is that taking the fear out of anything? That is essentially taking the fear and multiplying it by a gazillion trillion billion and talking utter nonsense in words that mean nothing to people who know nothing about this RUBBISH!!!
In my opinion a more reasonable explanation would be along these lines:
- Skewness is when something is a bit squint
- Kurtosis sounds awfully close to halitosis and one should never neglect ones oral hygiene
- Positive is when one is happy jolly la-la-effin-la-ing over when one understands something
- Normal is not a word that should be bandied around. Who or what is normal? This question requires whole PHD studies and not 500 word reports
- Negative is how I feel about all this maths stuff...