Wednesday 15 August 2012

1500!

I've been trying to work on my assignment for my summer school course. It was actually due in last Friday so I'm already working a week behind on a short extension, not exactly my style. But blimey I'm struggling! It's been a while since I've had to sit down and make myself do reading, then planning, then writing and I've been the champion of procrastinating. I finally made a start on it last week and I've been going really well with it until I realised that it's only supposed to be 1500 words. I'm currently at 1900 and haven't finished yet. The 1900 is edited down from the 2000+ that I did have earlier. Buggeration. To be fair to myself, my last big assignment was my dissertation for my Masters that I think was 15000 words so to go back to doing 1500 is tricky. 

I have no idea how I'm going to reduce it. I've bullet pointed everything I possibly can, anymore bullet points and it will resemble some kind of shooting target. Eep! To be honest by this stage I just want it done and there's a really big part of me tempted to just finish it where it is, deleting the bullet point in waiting...but it's just not done. It would be all unfinished and then I'd feel bad for not doing it up to my usual standard. Then again it would give me my evenings back and I wouldn't have to sit in front of a laptop screen...tempting. 

Will the little red devil on one shoulder be the champion? Or will the angel on the other? Only tomorrow night will all be revealed when I have to finish it as it's due in on Friday...

Speaking of word counts by the way. Anna Karenina is 854 pages long. 854 pages of teeny tiny writing. I got as far as page 400 before sheer boredom set in and I knew I just couldn't carry on any further. I'm sorry Tolstoy but you just don't do it for me, baby. Oh and by the way, having something major happen by summing it up in one line before changing to a whole new chapter talking about farming is just rubbish! You need to work on your build up and anticipation...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

soooooo? did you finish it?