Wednesday 20 June 2012

Fork in the road

Kind Sirs and Ladies
 
Before I started writing this post I did a fair few internet searches looking in vain for some kind of inspiring quote that would help me sum up the stuff I'm trying to say. Confucious advised that we: "choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life". Pablo Picasso reckoned that: "it is your work in life that is the ultimate seduction". Or how about this one from Buddha: "Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it" All very inspiring stuff if you feel like you're in a job or career that you feel so passionate about. Me? Summing up how I feel at the moment would pretty much look something like this: blaaaahhhheurgggghhhh *sad face* 

It's not the first time I'm saying it and I know it definitely won't be the last but I'm just not feeling the libraryland love. I'm completely and utterly uninspired and rather out of sorts with the whole jolly thing. If it was easy I would walk away and get a job doing something else. Except that my region tonight was labelled the black spot of unemployment with the highest figures in the country - hardly a label to be proud of. The employment pages are empty. I don't want to move away so for now I'm stuck. Except I don't want to be stuck. I've been stuck for so long now it's a miracle they can prise me off my chair and out of the door when 5pm comes round; not just superglue stuck but Araldite glue stuck. I can take it no more. It is time for some serious action. 

This means thinking about what the hell it is I want to do for a job/career. Hence the internet searching for some inspiring career quotes. I'm kind of interested in this, would love to do that, have no idea what I might need qualifications-wise...it's all excuses. ACTION! Today I took action. I registered my interest on a course. Just a short course that lasts 4 weeks, a taster if you will of what that field might offer me. I'm not going to say what it is yet as it's bound to be like everything else and I'll start it, feel uninspired, and then I'm back to being stuck. 

Clearly I am in need of some help. But who do you ask? How do you start again at age 37? If I just keep asking questions will an answer eventually appear in front of me like some kind of magic trick? 

Yours faithfully
Desperate of blogland

1 comment:

Librarian Girl said...

I have nothing inspiring to say other than good luck and I know you will land where you need to eventually!