Tuesday 1 January 2008

The good thief/Farewell to 2007

First things first: Happy New Year! I hope you all had a lovely time and here's a big glass of Tesco's finest Pinot raised in celebration and to welcome in 2008!

Next up is me admitting that I'm a bit of a thief. Well, only as far as blog posts go. I stole this particular idea from Librarian Girl. However, in fairness she stole it from someone else so I guess we're spreading the thief lurve.

So here is my version:
1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
The stand-out things I can remember are that I went to San Francisco and fell in love with it, and had black chunks put in my hair, and employed some seriously underhand tactics with Fizz in order to beat Wavey at various board games.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
Since I can remember I've made the same two resolutions: that I'll stop biting my fingernails, and that I'll stop swearing. The usual practice is that about 3 minutes into the new year I've broken both of them so I don't bother now.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two people. One baby boy. One baby girl. I might just be a teensy bit in love with baby boy, he's the most beautiful little boy and every time I see him I want to steal him away...anyone who knows me knows that this is not usual Dizz speak, trust me, he really is that delicious.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No thank god. But a work colleague lost her husband which saddened me more that I expected. I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone so in love with their husband after so many years together, I think about her a lot.

5. What countries did you visit?
The US of A baby. San Francisco. Oh! Even now I close my eyes and I see every detail that I fell in love with. What a beautiful city.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
I should be making this all meaningful but I'm going to be really really shallow and say these: shoes But they're way out of my budget so instead I have to do lots of lusting and whimpering at them in the shop.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory?
The last 6 weeks of the year. For many reasons that were good, bad, sad. The importance lies in an understanding: that I have some of the greatest friends I will ever have the privilege of knowing. They know who they are. And there are not enough words to describe how amazing they were to me. I feel like my family just expanded and that's why the etching. You don't forget stuff like that.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting respect at work. I've come a long way in there and it feels good.

9. What was your biggest failure?
It sounds a bit kooky to say it but I try to learn from everything. And I don't like to focus on bad stuff. If I did something wrong, tell me, and I'll work on ways to get it right.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not a great health year but nothing serious, just rubbish bugs picked up from work. Oh and maybe a few bruises... ;o)

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Oooooh tough question! It tends to change as I have a tendency to fall in lust with every new thing. But if I had to only pick one thing, it would be my shiny new ipod. I heart it so.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Refer to question 7. You know who you are.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
A lot of my work colleagues. There's been some shit flying round there the past few weeks. I hope the time away has given them time to reflect on what's important.

14. Where did most of your money go?
The boring answer is my house and its upkeep.
The vanity answer is my hair.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Two utterly fantastic gigs. First up: The Rumblestrips. Wow. Oh wow. They might go down as one of the finest gigs I've ever seen. In my life. They absolutely rocked the place. I am in awe. Second: Amy Winehouse. Yep. We saw her. And she was absolutely amazing. We were so lucky cos days later she cancelled the rest of her tour and was boo-ed off several stages. Thank you to the music!

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Um-ber-fecking-rella by Rhianna. She ruined our summer. I genuinely believe that. She made all the rain happen. She sucks.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Can I say wiser...
b) thinner or fatter? Ahem, sucky time to answer this question, it's been Christmas! Fatter of course. But not for long, never fear!
c) richer or poorer? Richer, poorer, what's the difference? I've sold my soul to Virgin credit cards, say no more :o(

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Not sure how to answer this one. I'm not one for looking back and feeling regretful.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Being stuck in the middle of impossible situations. Me no likey. And I really hope that there ain't any more of that shit in 2008.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Well you saw the photos. With the lovely Fizz, Wavey and Tizz. And then the day after with my lovely parentals. It's been a pretty amazing holiday all round. I'm sad to say goodbye to it...

21. For some reason this question is AWOL.

22. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Love? No. Serious likey-like? Yes. Refer to question 7 and fill in the gaps. Safe to say that question 19 was part of it. Sad to say that I'm cynical again :o(

23. How many one night stands?
I never kiss and tell.

24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Heroes. Tchah!

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate? That's a strong word. I seldom find myself hating anyone. Disappointed? Definitely. Mind you, that could be considered worse if you've ever been unfortunate enough to feel the Dizz disappointment.

26. What was the best book you read?
A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian. I can honestly say that I have never been so utterly delighted by a book, so much so that as soon as I finished it I wanted to start all over again. Read it. Now.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Oh so many! The Maccabees. The Rumblestrips. The Hoosiers. The Young Republic. I could go on...

28. What did you want and get?
A holiday in San Francisco with the lovely Tizz that would remain forever in my heart.

29. What did you want and not get?
A millionaire husband who will buy me a house with a swimming pool.

30. What was your favourite film of this year?
I can tell you what my least favourite was. I Am Legend. That was some scary stuff. I had to hide in my hoodie. Me no likey.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I shared it with the lovely T at work, as it was her hen night. We made her wear knickers outside her jeans. And we danced to cheesey music. And I turned 32.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Can I say the shoes again?

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
As absolutely fabulous as ever my lovely blog readers.

34. What kept you sane?
I was supposed to be sane? Ooops...

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Oh come on! Just one? No can do. It changes almost daily! But big up there this year are Denny from Grey's Anatomy, and the ever loved David Tennant. In his glasses. Oh!

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I try not to watch the news cos it makes me so sad, but Tony Blair resigning as Prime Minister and Gordon Brown taking over was pretty monumental. I'm not sure he's made of Prime Minister stuff.

37. Who did you miss?
My lovely London friends who I don't see enough of.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
I feel like I've met my friends all over again this year. Something has seriously changed and the bonds feel unbreakable now. I know that's not really answering the question but there you go.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007:
That I may never get over that champagne hangover. Seriously, I see those bubbles and my stomach turns, ugh.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
No can do. There's not any one song that would sum up any year for me.

Final thoughts:
Yet again it's been a rollercoaster of a year. So many highs, several dips, but hey I've still come out of it smiling. Here's to 2008, may it bring more of the same!

Happy New Year! xx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely stuff, you're such a sage m'dear. Glad to have had you around in 2007, and you're right - those were some fantastic gigs! Here's to many more in 2008, and Irregular Choice shoes too!

Cx

Librarian Girl said...

Happy New Year!