Wednesday 3 October 2007

Normality?

The first week back at work after a holiday is always a little odd, on the one hand you're on a total high with the buzz of how good your holiday was, your heart leaps everytime someone comes over to ask you about it and you can't hide the grin as you tell yet another story...and then there's the flipside; you're gloomy, the weather's rubbish, you want to be back on holiday to recover from your holiday. And so it goes on. The second week is when everything supposedly returns to normal. Not so for me.

Even though it's only Wednesday, so far my "normal" week has included some very bizarre happenings.

On Monday, I discovered that my beloved black suede boots had a scuff on the tip of the right front pointy bit. And it was like an off white colour. And really stood out. Since I heart these boots so I knew that I had to do something and was inspired by Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. I got me a black marker. I made someone stand in front of me. And I coloured the tip of my boot in with said marker. Result! No-one can see the scuff mark now. Really, what would we do without films and television?

Tuesday night theatre is always fun, it's hard to describe what it is that we do there cos people have to see it to believe it. This week however was a little more strange than usual. I got there to find that my task was to create these hideous decorations that are well over 6 feet tall, and consist of a bucket covered in silver foil, a stake covered in flowers made out of paper tissues, silver skylarks with foil wings and tails, and pampas grass. Oh all fixed together with the aid of a glue gun and mucho swearing. Poor R managed to burn herself severely on the glue gun, so much so that I had to get a lift home to pick up as many antiseptic and soothing lotions as I could find to treat them. She has actual holes in her fingers where she thought she was peeling the hot glue away but was actually peeling away her skin. Nice. Let's all wish her a speedy recovery, if only so that she can actually push the truck during the play next week, cher-ching!

Which leads us to today. So what happened today? Well I thought it was all running smoothly until I went for my monthly food shop tonight. I get to the check-out, and have loaded up all my stuff, packed it away and am ready to pay. Is it possible to have a blonde moment with red hair? As I pulled my purse out of my bag, I didn't realise it was open, coins flew everywhere, I bent to pick them up and was greeted by a sight I hope never to see again: a woolly mammoth wearing shorty white baggy shorts. Oh yes, I saw waaaaaaaay more of this woolly mammoth than I wanted to. I might need therapy to recover, or at least a bit of cake to make me feel better.

Finally (I have to end now cos Heroes is starting and I am addicted), I've been watching Life on Mars which was shown on the BBC a while back. And it totally rocks. There are some classic moments and some wonderful lines, my favourite definitely being: (said in gruff Manchester accent) if I come back to this motor and there's a scratch on it I'm coming round yer 'ouse and stamping on all yer toys...now that my friends, is a put down that I have to use!

Ta-ta xx

2 comments:

fizz said...

I heart Life on Mars too. I watched series 1 on on demand a couple of months ago. Faeroony baby. Can you get series 2 on DVD?

Claire said...

You can indeedy. It's already on my Amazon rental list, I'll let you know when it arrives.

My other favourite line was "bouncing on yer ding-a-ling" but I didn't have a suitable bizarre story to go with that one :o))