Monday 11 February 2008

Dents

In all the shoe excitement from the birthday I neglected to mention a very cool present that I was equally as excited about. It came in a tin. And it was a First Aid Kit for Guitar. So now I have to explain...

When I was just a wee'un I used to play 2 instruments: first up was the recorder, but I didn't just play the regular one, I played them all, from the teeny eenie one right up to the biiiiiigggg one that you really had to stretch your fingers to reach the holes; and I played the guitar. Yep even back in the day, I had dreams of being a rock chick. So recently, I mentioned that I was thinking of taking the guitar up again, as music plays such a huge part in my life, it made sense to make some of my own once again. Hence the kit. Which lived upstairs until tonight.

An uneventful Monday evening has thus turned into one of major excitement. My guitar, oh my beloved guitar. I'll have to take a photo and post it at some point. It was second hand when my parents originally bought it for me, money being not exactly falling off trees back in the day, so when I took it out of its case after years of neglect I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm pleased to report that it's still sounding mighty fine. And it's looking as battered and well loved as it always did.

So I'm re-learning. The cool tin came with what is essentially a pack of cards with all the notes you will ever need to know to play the guitar, all with handy diagrams of which fingers should go where. Tonight I've learned 9 cards, A-C. I feel so proud of myself. I forgot that some of those notes need 4 fingers! And I also forgot about the dents. The tips of my fingers on my left hand are numb. Ouch! But good ouch. I'm smiling through the ouch-ness.

As I've blogged about it I guess you're all along for the learning ride with me. Those of you who live very far away should probably thank their lucky stars right about now as they won't be forced to listen to me demonstrating my range of A...be kind those of you who live near. Cos you know that I still harbour those dreams of being a rock chick. One day, you just never know...what? a girl can't dream? xx

1 comment:

Librarian Girl said...

I am flashing the horns in your honor!

Do you know what flashing the horns is? Or is that an American expression??

It's when someone does this:
http://www.earcraftmusic.com/images/Products/Used/rock_horns.jpg