Sunday 22 April 2007

Sunshine

I know Fizz is normally the one to go all Jonathan Ross and provide film reviews but after seeing Sunshine this afternoon I just had to blog about it. This film is awesome and you have to go and see it. I don't use the word awesome, in fact, not ever in conversation, but as Fizz and I came out of the cinema we were full of so much praise and wow-ness that it seems a good, solid summing up word of the whole experience. Trust me though, you can't wait for this film to come out on dvd cos it won't be the same, you have to see it on the big screen so that the music can literally reverberate through your entire being...

There's so much to say about it that I don't even know where to begin and can't honestly say too much cos it'll give away too much of what happens in the film. Let's just say that there were several occasions when my whole body came out in goosebumps at the amazing way it was filmed and how the music made scenes come alive...gawd it was just awesome. Go and see it. Go on. Right now. Get to the cinema, sit yourself down, don't get any refreshments cos you won't want to leave your seat for any bathroom breaks, and marvel.

Danny Boyle: is there any genre of film that you can't turn your hand to?
Alex Garland: I loved "The Beach" but this? This is amazing, keep writing scripts!

And finally, roll on 11th May for 28 Weeks Later; we are soooooo first in line for that Fizz!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex Garland can write? Really--? Since when? His characters are flatter than boards. He turns "Sunshine" into a dumb slasher flick halfway through and then-- after a mere thirty-four drafts-- has no idea how to end the thing. If he's a good writer, I'll take my Pulitzer now, please.

fizz said...

Pah! Pah, pah-pah, pha-pah, PAH! to anonymous. I thought it was great. I'm usually very analytical, figuring out which shots are cgi and which green-screen etc., but I was so wrapped up in the action, I forgot to think about things like that.

The plot wasn't too shabby either - I can usually guess at least most of what's going to happen, but there were plenty of twists and turns that I wasn't expecting.

Then there's Cillian - he's to beautiful. What red-blooded woman can turn down the opportunity to see his face in close-up on a 2-storey high screen? His eyes. Oh!

And the music stands on it's own as a peice of masterful emotion-manipulation. See it. Hear it. And FEEL it - it really does make your bones vibrate.